Changing the Theme, MGV4
How to Set Up a Blog in Under an Hour, Changing the Theme, MGV4
There are thousands of free and paid themes or theme templates to choose from. Be careful and be aware you can spend a lot of time tweaking your theme to make it more attractive when what people are looking for is great content. Take a minimalist approach to your theme at first and concentrate on writing or developing great content. As you learn what really counts with the presentation, make small changes and test if they improve traffic.
This tutorial will walk you through changing the default theme to one that provides the tools for significant customization. It will appear minimalist at first, but all the bells and whistles are available for the things that count.
Take a last look at your default template, http://www.hvacservice dallas.org:
- Open your browser and go to your WordPress dashboard, www.hvacservicedallas.org/wp-admin and login
- On the left hand directory hover over appearance and select “Theme”
- Look at the two tabs on top of the page and select “New Theme”
- In the search box enter “Simply Works Core” and press “search”
- When the new theme is downloaded click “install” and then “install now” in the pop up
- When the theme is installed click “activate”
- Look at the theme options but don’t change anything now
- Under appearance, select “menu”
- Click the box next to the about page that we wrote earlier and click “save menu”
- On the appearance directory, select “widgets”
- Click on the down arrow on the “top sidebar” located on the right hand side of the page, find the “recent posts widget” box on the left hand side and drag the” recent post box” and drop it in the ”top sidebar:
- Type recent posts in the title box click “save” and click “close”
Your urge might be to spend days looking at beautiful themes, but resist that for now. Stick with “Simply Works Core” until you learn about “On Page SEO”. On page search engine optimization consists of the things under your control that can increase your ranking in the search engines and help your Blog get found by Google, Bing and customers. A beautiful blog that no one but your mother ever sees won’t pay the bills. Our sole focus at this point should be getting ranked by Google.
We want visitors to easily contact us. Let’s add a contact page:
- Go to your dashboard, hover over pages and click “new page”
- Name the page “Contact”
- Add you name, phone number and address in the body
- Check spelling by pressing the “ABC button” in the toolbar and correct misspelled words
- Go to appearance and select menu so we can add our new contact page to the Nav Bar
- Scroll down to the “Pages block” and click the box next to “contact” and “about” to include them on the Nav Bar
- Drag ”about”, so it will appear first on the Nav Bar and click “save menu”
Over the next few weeks you can write high quality articles that your customers would be interested in reading. Do not copy content from anywhere on the internet or you will suffer Google’s “Duplicate Content” penalty and your rankings will fall out of site. You can subscribe to a service called www.copyscape.com where you can check the internet for duplicate content. The important thing is to be the first to put your original content on the internet. Later you can use this service to locate all the websites that have copied and posted you content to their site.
You now have a functioning Blog and not including writing articles, you should be able to read the posts, watch the video’s and get your Blog up and running in about an hour. Hope we delivered on that.
Let us know how it went and if we left anything important out.
You can email, write or call with any questions.
Stay tuned and opt-in to our mailing list. We will continue this series of tutorials to help you make your Blog a real asset for your business