In this series of 4 Videos and posts we will walk you through step by step, how to set up a WordPress Blog in under an hour. One qualification, this hour does not include the time it takes you to write articles. You may already have them written or you may have severe writers block. Make sure you leave a comment about anything that is unclear.
This Video covers key word research and selecting a domain name. Failure to do the research is almost guaranteed failure.
You need to put some thought into what you’re going to accomplish with your blog. There are usually two basic answers.
- The most common goal is to: Attract free traffic from the search engines. You want the searcher to select your site when looking for information to buy a product or service you sell. This would include searching in Google.
- You might want to set up an online brochure for your brand. This is called a “vanity site” because the only people that will find it are the ones using you site name as the exact search terms. This is equivalent to a listing in the phone book. Unless they are looking for you, they won’t find you. The blog “domain” or “URL” has a major affect on how your site ranks in search engines. If the domain name includes or is a match the site, it will rank higher than an identical site without the search terms included. The search terms are referred to as keywords.
- If you’re building a brand, use your name or your company’s name.
- If you want to rank high for search terms or keywords that customers might use to find a company to do business with, pick a domain name containing the keywords customers will use to search. An example would be www.HVACservice.com that has the keyword “HVAC Service”. Unfortunately all of these good keywords have already been taken.
- There is an exception and it’s good for air conditioning contractors. If you are in Dallas, you don’t really want to rank on Google’s first page in New York or Paris France. You can select a domain with keywords plus a geographic qualifier. Many of these geographic names are still available. You would want, as an example, www.HVACserviceDallas.com. Unfortunately many of these domains in major metropolitan areas have also been taken but it’s never too soon to reserve a domain name with high traffic potential. How do you find out what the most used search terms are? Professionals that do a lot of keyword research use a tool. We use Market Samurai. There are also free tools available from Google. If you are not doing a lot of keyword research there is no point in spending days learning how. You can use the research here or send me an e-mail describing what you want to accomplish and I will generate a report for you. Your assignment is to pick your keywords and find an available domain name.
- The exact keywords are best
- If the exact keyword domain is not available add a prefix or suffix or another high ranking keyword. HVACdallasHQ.com (headquarters) or DallasHVAC ServiceHQ.com • .com, .net and .org are recommended in that order
- Short domains are better than long ones.
- Don’t use a word owned by someone else like Trane or Carrier